1907 Vibroplex

 



Below are numerous pictures of this 1907 Martin's Vibroplex. Its an odd example of a key from that time period. The serial number on the damper indicates its from 1907.


I've had this 1907 Martin's Vibroplex for a while and finally got around to testing it this week. When I found the key it was filthy -- with a layer of some sort of scum like it was stored near a coal burning stove for a long time. It was from an Indiana estate sale. I can recall seeing another example of this type of key a long time ago but I didnt save the picture. If anyone owns a key like this one or has seen one like it, I would appreciate it if you let me know about it.
If you've seen an example of this key or own one like it, contact me at w7is@outlook.com . Thanks

In the below picture you can see the shorting levers tensioning spring has lost its tension and is pointing up. So it needs to be retensioned.
Another odd thing is the base is painted with a simulated leather effect. It appears to be the original surface paint. When I found the key, the feet on the bottom fell apart in my fingers when I tried to clean them. So I fitted they key with some self adhesive vinyl types that I like to use on keys. As you can see in the below pictures.




The finger pieces are also odd. Made out of what appears to be heavy Bakelite. They feel a little heavy and detract from the touch of the finger pieces for high speed code.

The last odd thing is the size. Its a mid sized key, slightly bigger than a Blue Racer.

Here is a picture showing a Mod X, with the 1907 in the middle and a 1919 Blue Racer.

Then main spring is fairly weak but it produces very good code with a light touch. The dots it makes are unlike any other key I've used --- with a distinct dot pattern. The only problem I had with the key is the main spring was loose in the dot arm. But it was no problem tightening the rivets.




Frank W7is

Popular posts from this blog

Extendadot Speed Control

Vertical Placement of Vibroplex Style Speed Keys

Speed Key Adjustment Procedures